Hello Herbert,

> This behavior was there in GnuCash some time ago and got fixed.
> It came back with the "great automake patch".

this happens even in really big (and expensive!) commercial projects  :)

> GnuCash does not use localized strings from gnucash.pot.
> It uses, however, the correct localized currency symbol
> and some of the menu items are translated (I persume
> these are localized by gnome, e.g. save, save as, open, ...).
>
> This behaviour occurs with SuSE 6.3 and LANG set to
> german or de_DE. (german is just an alias for de_DE).

That's exactly the installation I use.

> Hope this can help anyone who knows more about locale and NLS.

Unfortunately I do not know yet exactly how the
internationalization/localization mechanism works. Perhaps in some weeks.

Anyway, after having had a look at the files I have got the impression, that
the way to do this at least in this project is quite complicated. As far as
I can see, the whole english message is used to look up the translated
message. I would prefer a message code which is independent of the message
text and who points to the message in a message file. The message file could
be changed or accessed depending on the language. I know this mechanism in
other operating systems. Or is this a bad idea? If so, please tell me why. I
am willing to learn :)

Greetings,

Ralf