On Fri, 30 Jun 2000, Ralf Gorholt wrote:

> perhaps I understand something wrong but I think one of the purposes of
> operator overloading in C++ is to be able to write something like "x = y +
> z" instead of "gnc_money_plus(x, y, z)"

You are correct. However Robert was pointing out that you do not have that
capability on the scheme side of things.

Personally, I think that this is one weakness in the present approach to
report generation. I would prefer to see an implementation that does the
calculations in the engine (as directed by the report generator) and only
does the displaying in the external part. That way we would be able to take
advantage of database implementations of the summation in the case that we
use an SQL database for the store.