it has occurred to me that we really need some account-level
meta-information beyond the fixed fields and text notes we already
have.

We could potentially go on adding more fixed fields to different types
of accounts, but if we also offered the ability to add user-defined
fields of meta-information to accounts, we could make our reporting
a whole lot more powerful and easier to use - as a simple example, if
somebody specified a "project" field, we could provide summary reports
sorted on "project".

This might provide a feasible way of making the multidimensional
account views that Richard Wackerbarth has discussed a little more
feasible.

Of course, this sort of thing has considerable implications for the
engine, and needs careful thought to make the functionality accessible
to the end user.

I realise I'm painting a broad brush here, but I'm just floating the
concept first before getting too bogged down in implementation (but
I'd note that scheme's type flexibility and ease of translation
between internal and external representation make it a pretty nice
vehicle to use for this sort of thing).

Comments?