On Wed, Jan 03, 2001 at 10:37:01AM -0600, John Hasler wrote:
> I wrote:
> > Put all entries into a single table (journal).  Never delete or alter any
> > of them.  Instead, add new correcting entries.  This eliminates the need
> > for an audit table.
>
> Dr. David C. Merrill write:
> > Sounds like an interesting idea. Can you elaborate?
>
> I have a "correction_ref" field in each entry.  In normal entries it is
> null, but in corrections it points to the entry being corrected.  I was
> going to add a corrections table (a view, actually) so that the engine
> would not have to fumble through half the journal looking for possible
> corrections to each entry being retrieved, but I've now decided to permit
> only explicit correcting entries.  My textbook tells me that journal
> entries should not be altered once posted.  I am going to keep the
> "correction_ref" field so that the user will be able to easily retrieve the
> corrected entry.

This is pretty much the same idea, except that the records are left in
the same table instead of an audit table. This has already been
suggested, and I think I like it better than using the audit table.

fwiw, I originally wanted to use a separate table for performance
reasons and simplicity in working with the live data, but have come to
believe there is not enough gain to justify the pain.

So I think we're going with your idea.

Linux Documentation Project                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                       Finger me for my public key

I am the soul of nature
That gives life to all the universe.
>From Me all things proceed
And unto Me they must return.
                -- from The Charge of the Goddess, Doreen Valiente