Chris Shoemaker wrote:
<< snip>>

libguile-ltdl-1/unstable uptodate 1.6.7-1.1

I'm guessing what you need is something like that one: libguile-ltdl.
Is there a -dev version?  Do you have it installed?

no -dev version that I know of or shows in the package lists, but...

<<snip>>
I don't seem to have guile-1.6-dev. I'll try that.

<< snip>>>

got me past that error. then this

cc1: warnings being treated as errors
gw-engine.c: In function 'gw__tmp427_xaccQueryAddDateMatch_wrapper':
gw-engine.c:16688: warning: 'gw__scm_extras[0]' is used uninitialized in this function
I believe this is in another thread:

./autogen.sh CFLAGS="-Wno-uninitialized"

right?

seems to have worked until I've got yet another...

test-date-converting.o: In function `main':
test-date-converting.c:(.text+0x39): undefined reference to `timespec_sec_to_string' test-date-converting.c:(.text+0x4a): undefined reference to `timespec_nsec_to_string' test-date-converting.c:(.text+0x5f): undefined reference to `string_to_timespec_secs' test-date-converting.c:(.text+0x99): undefined reference to `string_to_timespec_nsecs'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[6]: *** [test-date-converting] Error 1

that kills make.

<<snip>>

What version of automake do you have?  I think you need at least 1.9.

woops

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~/gnucash$ apt-show-versions | grep automake

automake1.4/stable uptodate 1:1.4-p6-9

sheesh.

Are you running debian stable?  If so, you might have a hard time
making a suitably modern development environment.  Note: I don't use
debian, so I don't really know what I'm talking about.

you know, I did a fresh install of deb stable a couple weeks ago and went through some testing before migrating to unstable. had some (this is totally OT) issues with hotplug and udev trying to replace each other and circular dependencies. Anyway, that sort of bolluxed up my migration and I seem to have a very mixed system right now. I'm going to go away and fix that and return later. thanks for your help.

-chris