I think it's about time to conclude this version control discussion for now,
make a decision based on the current consensus, postpone further discussion
into next year, and continue coding on the gnome2 port for now.

>From what we can see in the -devel and -patches discussion, everyone agrees
that we should make a transition from CVS to a more modern version control
system. Also, everyone would agree that SVN is in fact such a more modern
version control system. Josh's test setup for the gnucash repository on SVN
works already quite nice and gives a good impression of the benefits from SVN
(like, "svn diff" for the full commit of one person at one time, or in other
words: the full changeset can be viewed easily).

There is no general agreement on whether a dedicated SCM like git would offer
enough additional benefit so that a transition of the gnucash repository to
such an SCM would be a good decision at this point in time. (For example, I
tend to agree that there is enough additional benefit in such a move, but as
I said, there is no general agreement.)

I would therefore propose that we decide on the transition to Subversion
*now*, and that this transition should happen in the next 1-2 weeks.

@David Hampton: Would you suggest to do the gnome2-branch merging to HEAD
still in CVS, and make the transition to SVN after that? Or would you suggest
that we can make the SVN-transition with the current repository, so that the
gnome2-branch merging to HEAD will be done in SVN? If the former, then I
would kindly ask whether the gnome2->HEAD merge could be done ASAP; if the
latter, I would suggest that the transition to SVN should be done in the next
1-2 weeks.

Additionally, I would propose that we stop the discussion of the SCM issue now
and reconsider this again at a later point in time (e.g., in six months from
now), when we can already see whether some of the source control issues are
already resolved by using SVN instead of CVS.

Regards,

Christian