Hi,

someone mentioned this problem before, but somehow the problem is not as general as I'd think.

Some other users (including me) have been using the 1.8 datafile with non-ascii characters without problems in gnucash-SVN, i.e. the non-ascii characters will be displayed and stored correctly in gnucash2. The libxml2 library seems to automatically handle this conversion correctly, at least in some cases. (libxml2-2.6.17) Yes, the 1.8 non-ascii form of "óÅ..." is the problem here as it makes it impossible to use "recode koi8..utf8 myfile".

Isn't there even a bugreport about this particular file conversion problem in bugzilla? If there isn't, please enter one, maybe with a short test file. http://bugzilla.gnome.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=GnuCash

Christian

Покотиленко Костик schrieb:
But, when I finally got to open my 1.8 file in G2, it was a surprise.
Russian characters in accounts list, transaction list and reports
doesn't appear correctly.

1. I see in Gnucash 1.8 file that non-English characters are being put
in "óÅ..." (Unicode I believe) form. This is the error entry
point.