Derek Atkins wrote:

>Phil,
>
>Quoting Phil Longstaff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>>Is there any current vision for database use?  Of the 3 databases I've
>>listed, I've only used MySQL.  SQLite would remove the need for an
>>external db server, though embedded MySQL would also remove this.
>>

>Well, MY vision is two-fold:
>
>1) I'd like to replace the default File backend with SQLite.  The reason
>   I want SQLite instead of "embedded MySQL" is not only that it's an
>   embedded server, but also because the target database is stored in a
>   single file!   Embedded MySQL still requires a database directory and
>   stores multiple files (one file per table) in that directory.

With the non-embedded MySQL, the "one file per table" depends upon the
storage engine chosen and also configuration options.  I expect that
this is the same with embedded MySQL.

Embedded MySql is not available with version 5.0.x.  However, it is
planned to be restored with 5.1.x.

Personally, I'd love to be able to use MySql as a backend.  I'd like to
work on it, but have a couple other projects on the go at the moment.
I'll have to limit myself to helping with testing.

>PS: I'm sorry to hear about your job!

After ten years of working in the software industry, I gave up.  There
weren't enough jobs for the people looking for them.  There were too
many temporary jobs (really just a consequence of the first reason).
And the available work was simply not challenging enough to be interesting.

Mark