On Fri, 2006-03-11 at 17:00 -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:
> I think, Phil, that you should use Daniel as a resource to better
> understand GDA.   Daniel, I think you should provide your GDA knowledge
> to Phil who seems to better understand the issue at hand.  I leave it
> to you two to figure out how to best work together.
>
> Phil, you might want to try to model the GDA backend similar to the
> File Backend where you can add plugins that supply additional tables
> or callbacks.   Also, you probably wants a "settings" table where you
> can keep things like DB Schema version, etc.

What I'm doing is basically what the file backend does.  Each qof object
type registers a backend handler using qof_object_register_backend().
Then, when I want to run on query on a certain object type or commit an
object, I find the corresponding backend handler and call its load or
commit routine.  The file backend only does this for business-related
objects, but I'm doing it for all objects.

> Finally, when designing the schema you should keep in mind that we probably
> want an audit table so we can look back at who changed what (and maybe even
> when).   Also, in the DB we probably want a 'last updated' column on each
> primary table so we can easily keep track of when changes were made..  This
> would be useful for multi-user cache coherency.

I know the postgres backend has something like an audit table.  I'll
think about how that could be handled.  Last updated column is probably
pretty straightforward too.

Phil