On Sun, Dec 23, 2007 at 08:33:10PM -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Quoting Andrew Sackville-West <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
>> Well, I honestly don't know. Based on the political situation, I'd say
>> it's highly likely that the old ones are still in circulation, but how
>> many of those are being tracked in financial software?
>>
>> How does conversion handle historic data in a file? IOW, if I have
>> txn's in the old currency predating the new currnecy and gnucash
>> "converts" what happens to those old txns?
>
> It does an internal conversion.  EVERYTHING gets migrated over.
> This is used when the currency is renamed or reissued.  Hence
> the question of whether it really is a different currency or just
> a reissue of the older one.

It's a reissue but its properties have changed (no longer subdivided
into "puls" at 100 per afghani) so prior transactions could have had
fractional amounts which don't exist for the new currency. Further the
old afghani was converted into new afghanis at two distinct rates
depending upon whose authority issued the currency (wacky!). Some were traded
at 1000 old to 1 new while some were traded at 2000 old to 1
new. Combining those two facts makes me think it should remain as two
distict currencies, but I'm only learning here, so please feel free to
tell me I'm wrong. ;)

Thanks