Got it. Thanks for clarifying.

Havard

Derek Atkins wrote:
It's the Invoice # on Invoice transactions in A/R, A/P
It's the Check Number for checking accounts

Basically, the field is already being used for other things by other people,
so suggesting it as the recipient of a globally automated numbering system
is a Bad Idea.

-derek

Quoting Havard Rast Blok <n...@hblok.net>:

Hi Derek,

How would you define the difference between this transaction/receipt number, and the "Num" field then? On the face of it, I think it looks like a good match? What other usage is the Num field dedicated to?

Regards,
Havard

Derek Atkins wrote:
No, the Num field is not where you should be putting this.  That field
already has a purpose.  You will need to create a new column/field and
use that for the (optional) TxnID.  Most of the work will be in the UI
to add the field to the register.  Adding it to the Txn is pretty
straightforward.  I would suggest storing it in the KVP-frame.

You'll need to get into the C to do all this.

For a counter example look at the invoice code for the Invoice ID.

-derek

Quoting paolo palmerini <pa...@palmerini.org>:

dear derek,
i just need a number. but i do not know how to implement the counter ... i guess i would have to modify the code which deals with entering new transactions. before a new transaction is entered, a global counter is incremented and assigned to the "Num" field. if you have any other suggestion this would help a lot.
thank you in advance.
p.