Late to the party, but currently I prefer tab indents to spaces as it allows each developer to decide for themselves how big the indent is.

Tim

Christian Stimming wrote:
Now that we've come back to working on one single branch (trunk), we should reconsider the idea from back in 2007: We should re-indent the whole code into one single indentation scheme. See
http://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-devel/2007-March/020099.html

Quote from there: I'd like to propose the following "indent" options.
Indentation

-nut    No tabs. Indentation is done with spaces.
-i4     Add four spaces for each indent level
-ci4    Continuation lines are indented by four spaces
-cli4   Case labels are indented by four spaces
-ppi4   Nested pre-processor defines are indented by four spaces
-nbc    Do not force newlines after commas in declarations (default)
-nbfda  Don´t put each argument in a function declaration
        on a separate line (default)
-lp     Line up continued lines at parentheses (default)
-psl    Put the type of a procedure on the line before its name.
-bbo    Prefer to break long lines before boolean operators.

Blank Lines

-nsob   Do not swallow optional blank lines (default)
-bad    Force a blank line after a declaration.
-bbb    Force a blank line before a block comment.
-bap    Force blank lines after procedure bodies.

Comments

-fca    Reformat all comments except those starting in column 1
-fc1    Reformat comments starting in column 1
-sc     Continuation lines in a comments start with a '*'
[Added from discussion:]
-lc80 Comment line width of 80

Statements

-npcs   Do not put space after the function in function calls.
-nprs   Do not put a space after every ´(´ and before every ´)´.

-ncs    Do not put a space after cast operators.
-saf    Put a space after each for.
-sai    Put a space after each if.
-saw    Put a space after each while.
[Added from discussion:]
-ss On one-line for and while statments, force a blank before the semicolon.
-brs    Put braces on struct declaration line.
-br     Put braces on line with if, etc.
-ce     Cuddle else and preceeding `}´.
-cdw    Cuddle while of do {} while; and preceeding `}´.

Other

-l80    Line width of 80.
[Discussion ended unclear on this one. Maybe -l95 instead.]

If this is agreed upon, someone needs to actually apply this patch. (I'm rather short on time to do this, but would do it if nobody else steps up.)

In any case, right now is a good time to do this, so we should do it.

Regards,

Christian