While we like the professional features found in GNUCash as an accounting system, we're at wits end with the reporting system.

Moving to a modern HTML rendering engine is great step in the right direction. However, even in 2.3.10, the time to build a simple budget report off two-months' of personal data is 15-25 seconds on a dual-core Atom 330 running Ubuntu, which seems obscenely long. Its not noticably better on a 1.83 GHz Core Duo MacMini. That just isn't going to work for us.

I found the "optimizing reports" thread from October 2007, but not a lot since then. Has there been any significant understanding gained since then about what is so slow on what should be a relatively straightforward task? Was it ever narrowed down to bad algorithms in the reporting, or something else? Before I induce any more 6.031 flashbacks, is Scheme just too much of a dog to get the task done?

Thanks,

Jeff