"...but the amounts always show zero [using SQL back end]"

If you're using SQLite3 on Ubuntu 10.10 and a 32-bit system, you probably have a broken libdbi.

Hold on, they're making a new package for us; I'm guessing later this week you'll be able to get it using synaptic, apt-get, or your favorite package updating tool.

Jeff