Hi,

First of all, I have no idea how or why this conversation hit the public
list (I really hope John can explain that).
Not only it discloses private information on participants applying to
GnuCash and Gnome as well, but also violates GSoC program rules. Apart of
that
it makes me and I guess students feel quite uncomfortable.
I really hope this was done by a mistake and unintentionally.

Hello,
> correct me if I am wrong, but if I understood the goal of the Android app
> well, then it was such that the transaction/expense history would be
> recorded on the device, and then imported to the desktop app, and not the
> other way around.

This is absolutely true and that's the primary goal of the application. The
thing that I was talking about and which confused John is
import-export module in the source code of GnuCash.
So stressing this one more time - application should allow user to:
- entry data
- store data
- export data

> As for the coding contribution, I also don't see any modules in the desktop
> counterpart which are relevant to the Android application (again please
> correct me if I'm wrong).
> It should be noted that almost two weeks of the application period were
> lost by those who were applying to GNUcash before GNOME accepted to serve
> as an Umbrella org.

Well, as Marina said this is one of the Gnome requirements that all
proposals would have a link
to code contribution. And if I understand her correctly you have a time
until 20th of April to come up with
a code contribution, that is you can later add a link in a comment to your
proposal. Two weeks should be more
than enough to fix a bug, write a test or do small refactoring.
Most relevant modules would be src/import-export or src/libqof. Maybe
Christian or John could help with identifying a thing to be fixed.

> @Muslim, I would be interested in knowing areas where your expectations
> were not met and how the application can be improved (would it be in
> technical detail, UI wireframing, or something else?). Thanks.

I'm not going to talk about my expectations or evaluate your work, as again
this is against GSoC rules. Instead I went through
your proposal and here are some notes that could help you.

* You did come up with a schedule - that's a good thing and that was what
your initial draft was definitely lacking.
* Mockups are very good.
* "How do you plan to achieve completion of your project?" - still empty.
If it is in the template I would suggest it better be filled.
* Now you write " Android application for Android API level 7 and above".
Are you going to target 7+ platforms and support all of them? If yes then
you should dedicate some time for that. Otherwise think of skipping this.
* OpenIntents - what are you going to use them for? Is there something that
you cannot do with standard Android intent mechanism.
* "Integration of mobile application with desktop GNUcash" - what do you
actually mean by that?
* "Implementation of QIF export format" - you can describe of document a
format not implement it. Are you talking about exporting feature here?
* "Application passcode lock" - ?

Overall, a clear schedule is very important to successfully accomplish the
project. Right now it looks more like a spaghetti. For instance, for the
midterm you are going to present "standalone Android app for expense
tracking", but add exporting mechanism only after midterm. Now putting
yourself in a user place - how useful would you find an application that is
only capable of storing data to the dark corners of your flash drive?
Again, why would I need fancy widget on the desktop if my application
doesn't do the most important task.

Cheers,
Muslim Chochlov