John Ralls <jra...@ceridwen.us> writes:

> On Sep 23, 2013, at 7:42 AM, Derek Atkins <warl...@mit.edu> wrote:
>
>> Christian Stimming <christ...@cstimming.de> writes:
>>
>>> The new test fails for me as well: Kubuntu 11.10, and config.log says:
>>>
>>> configure:20323: checking Looking for at least one supported DBD module
>>> configure:20343: gcc -o conftest -I/home/cs/usr/include   -ldl conftest.c -
>>> lpthread
>>
>> Curious:  What happens if this line were to become:
>>
>>  gcc -o conftest -I/home/cs/usr/include conftest.c -ldl -lpthread
>>

> The patch I proposed here yesterday does that, at least with respect
> to the order of the libraries wrt conftest.c. Other CFLAGS are
> determined elsewhere by configure and the environment, of course.

I didn't take a close look at the patch, but I was just wondering
because if -ldl is before conftest.c then the compiler might not notice
that you need dlopen() from -ldl until after it's processing conftest.c,
which would be "too late".  So yes, sometimes order of files/libraries
on the command line *is* important.

> Regards,
> John Ralls

-derek