Le mercredi 25 à 0:33, Derek Atkins a écrit :
> On Tue, September 24, 2013 6:19 pm, Frédéric Perrin wrote:
>> Hi Derek,
>>
>> Le mercredi 25 à 0:08, Derek Atkins a écrit :
>>> If you're going to extend the Commodity Class then why not just put the
>>> symbols into the default constructors in the iso-4217-currencies file?
>>> Why put it into GConf?
>>
>> Which of Australian, Canadian, Zimbabwean dollar gets to use the "$"
>> sign? It seems to me only the user knows which currency they mean with
>> $, so attributing a symbol to a currency (beyond the locale one) should
>> be a user decision.
>>
>> (I guess this is why only the locale currency gets a symbol in the
>> current implementation)
>
> Yes, indeed, that is the main reason.
>
> Requiring people to input the symbols themselves is also something... "Not
> Nice".  Users don't want to have to figure those things out.

Yes. OTOH, beyond the locale currency, we can't decide for the user what
is meant by $ or £. Do you think this is too much trouble for something
users won't bother to configure ?

I guess we can decide to use $ for USD, £ for GBP and for the other
currencies, invent some qualifier. CAD already has C$, but e.g. Brunei
and Bahamain both have B$. How do we resolve this ambiguity ?

>                                                               Even
> worse, GConf editing is really only simple on Linux, so you're leaving
> out users of Mac and Windows.

Editing GConf was only for development, if the idea is sound we'd
hopefully also get a GUI editor (new tab in the Pref dialog ?).

--
Fred