I should split this off from the price rounding thread, but I don't know
how to do that in GMail when I am replying from inside the thread.

Ledger view doesn't show number of shares or prices, so I would still need
to go the security account to check on/fix them.  I do not see how to fill
out the transfer Funds Dialog from a confirmation statement listing number
of shares, price, commission and amount.  There are no boxes for number of
shares or amount.  I am also not sure which split line the dialog is
working on after it has popped up.  All closing transactions should have a
pair of adjustment (Realized Gain/Loss) lines as well as the basic
purchase/sale.and currency transfer lines.

It seems like it is still easiest to let the GnuCash Transfer Funds dialog
do whatever it wants then go to the security account where the number of
shares is shown and correct it, because it probably is wrong.

The multiple securities or accounts in the same transaction would usually
be transitory during the editing process, but the cases you mention would
be permanent.  I can also attest that when I had a 401-K with many
securities in 5 different sub-accounts it was very common to have as many
as 30 ledger entries in a single bi-weekly transaction and I was too lazy
to duplicate each one separately.

David C