It's because C++17 is set in GnuCash's CMakeLists.txt and boost defaults to
building for C++14. I'd forgotten that I'd pushed that to the public master
branch. I think the simplest way to rebuild it for you would be to add
    module_cmakeargs['boost'] = '-DCMAKE_CXX_FLAGS=' . os.environ['CXXFLAGS'] .
' -std=c++17'
to jhbuildrc-custom then run
    jhbuild buildone --force --clean boost

If that doesn't work on its own try doing the buildone again but stop it and
tell it to wipe the directory and start over.

John, is this going to work with xcode?
Also, will that affect my maint branch (I have two separate build dirs for maint and master)?
Jean