I gave Virtual Studio a shot last fall when they announced Cmake support.
Unfortunately our CMakeLists.txt choked it. I didn't try in the other
direction, that is using a VS-2019 generator.

GC will not compile with the VC++ compiler (our code is too unix-y), you'd have
to use clang, and I don't know if clang-cl can digest the unix-y code either.
That's perhaps an avenue worth trying.

VSCode is like emacs only prettier and without the elaborate key bindings. You
can certainly use it to edit code and in theory you can hook it up to gcc and
gdb to do compiles and debugging inside the VSCode environment.

You'll regardless need to set up a MinGW-w64 build environment to build the
dependencies. Yes, you can build the gtk3 stack with vcpkg but I doubt Guile
will never compile in that environment since it barely does under MinGW-w64.

Boost absolutely *must* be built with the same compiler as GnuCash and that
master requires telling anything older than boost-1.72 to build to C++17 (the
bjam arg is stdcxx=17).

Regards,
John Ralls