> On Jan 7, 2021, at 1:40 PM, Scott Morgan <sc...@adligo.com> wrote:
>
> Hey All,
>
>  I just wanted to thank you all for working hard to bring gnucash into the
> world.  I am curious about your XML formats, are you using XSD schema files
> or DTD files.
>  #2 is there a good way to transfer the XML files to a SQL db and vice
> versa with gnucash?
>  #3) As an avid developer (Java / https://github.com/adligo) I have become
> sick of XML and JSON and I am looking for collaborators to develop a new
> binary data format that is mostly text.  What I really mean is that I am
> looking to build a pluggable parsing strategy that avoids s-expressions and
> allows csv file data inside of trees called;
> Classification Markup Notation
>  Let me know if any of you are interested in this idea and would like to
> collaborate.

Scott,

Neither DTD nor XML:Schema nor relax, we don't use parser validation. All of
the XML semantics are hard-coded in the SAX handlers. There are some DTDs and a
relax schema in libgnucash/doc/xml, but they're for documentation only.

The only way at present to convert between XML and SQL is File>Save As from an
open book. We have it on the long-term todo list to write a more direct
conversion but it hasn't even been started.

Regards,
John Ralls