I working on the GnuCash documentation I found more than a few times
that I got totally confused where to find something on the menu's. I
decided therefore to do a proposal to reorganise the menus.

The two attached pictures are of the current menu's. I look forward to
any feedback on this proposal. I will also be attempting to do a mockup
of the changes using the present menu code in GnuCash. I expect some
parts will be to difficult for my limited skills to do.

Chris

Improving the GnuCash Menus.
---------------------------

This document is intended as a discussion piece for improving the menu layout in
GnuCash.
Currently, as part of writing up the documentation on GnuCash, I sometimes find it
difficult,
if not confusing, to figure out the purpose and functionality of some parts of
GnuCash. I
have tried where possible in making up this document to incorporate design suggestions
from
the GNOME Usability Project.

The Current Layout:
------------------

GnuCash currently has 2 different menu's used in its UI. One for the Chart of accounts
and a
different one for the Register. Other windows in Gnucash exist but these tend not to
use menu's.
I have attached 2 composite screenshots displaying the current layout.
(gnucash-menus.png)(gnucash-register.png)

Proposal:
--------

I propose to apply these changes to the menu configuration in order to make the menu's
more
consistent and easier to use.

Chart of Accounts View:

File Menu:
This should contain items relating to creating, opening, saving, closing and printing
accounts
and for exiting. There is currently a mix of places in both the Register view and the
chart of
accounts where these menu items are. I suggest making this menu appear in both views
and having
a standardised set of items.

File
---
New File           Ctrl-N
New Account
New Account Tree
---
Open File...       Ctrl-O
Open Account
Open Sub-Account
Open Recent        >            # To submenu
---
Save               Ctrl-S
Save As...
---
Import QIF File...
Export Accounts...
Export Report                           # Greyed out apart from when viewing a report
---
Print              Ctrl-P
Print Check...
---
Close              Ctrl-W       # Closes the current window in chart of accounts
Close All Windows               # Closes all registers and chart of accounts windows
apart from default
Quit GnuCash       Ctrl-Q

Edit Menu:
This should contain items relating to editing the account, clipboard handling,
selection and
searching and replacing. This menu should also be made to appear in both views and
have a standard
set of items.

Edit
---
Cut                Ctrl-X  # Cut, Copy, Paste to clipboard parts of current view
Copy               Ctrl-C  # Greyed out apart from report views
Paste              Ctrl-V  #
---
Edit Account
Delete Account
Check & Repair     >            # To submenu
---
Cut Transaction                         # Greyed out as only used in Register view
Copy Transaction                        # Greyed out as only used in Register view
Paste Transaction                       # Greyed out as only used in Register view
Find Transactions  Ctrl-F
---
Edit Report Options                     # This exists as a toolbar button. Merge into
this dialog Style Sheets
Tax Options                             # Was Tax Information
Options...                              # Was Preferences

View Menu:
This should contain items relating to manipulating the way the interface looks such as
changing the
look of the toolbar, formatting fonts and sort order of items. This menu should also
have a standard
set of items

View
---
Refresh            Ctrl-R       # Reload report
---
Hide Toolbar                            # These 3 are probably in preferences. It
would be
Hide Status Bar                         # nice to turn them off if you were wanting to
maximise
Hide Summary Bar                        # display space for a report on a small screen.
---
Sort Order         >            # To submenus
Date Range         >            # You should be able to set the display
Style              >            # up before you open the account

Transactions Menu:
This should be mostly greyed out in this view as it is primarily used to manipulate
transactions
in the register view.

Transactions
---
Enter                           # Greyed out as only used in Register view
Cancel                          # Greyed out as only used in Register view
Delete                          # Greyed out as only used in Register view
Blank                           # Greyed out as only used in Register view
---
Duplicate                       # Greyed out as only used in Register view
Split                           # Greyed out as only used in Register view
Jump                            # Greyed out as only used in Register view
---
Transfer...
Reconcile...
Stock Split...

Reports Menu:
This should contain items relating to manipulating reports.

Reports
---
Account Summary
Assets & Liabilties >           # To submenus
Income & Expense    >           # To submenus
Invoice                                 # Greyed out as only used in Register view
Transaction Report
Tax Report & Export                     # was Tax Report/TXF Export
Sample & Custom Reports >   # was Utility

Tools:
This should contain items that are useful additions to the basic functionality.

Tools
---
General Ledger
Scheduled Transactions >                # To submenus
Price Editor
Commodity Editor
Financial Calculator

Help:
This should contain items related to helping the user and about the program.

Help
---
Manual
Tips of the Day
---
About...

Register View:

File Menu:
This should contain items relating to creating, opening, saving, closing and printing
accounts
and for exiting. There is currently a mix of places in both the Register view and the
chart of
accounts where these menu items are. I suggest making this menu appear in both views
and having
a standardised set of items.

File
---
New File           Ctrl-N       # Greyed out as only used in Chart of Accounts view
New Account
New Account Tree                        # Greyed out as only used in Chart of Accounts
view
---
Open File...       Ctrl-O       # Greyed out as only used in Chart of Accounts view
Open Account                            # Greyed out as only used in Chart of Accounts
view
Open Sub-Account                        # Greyed out as only used in Chart of Accounts
view
Open Recent        >            # To submenu, Greyed out as only used in Chart of
Accounts view
---
Save               Ctrl-S
Save As...
---
Import Qif...
[...]

Delete Account                          # Greyed out as only used in Chart of Accounts
view
Check & Repair     >            # To submenu
---
Cut Transaction
Copy Transaction
Paste Transaction
Find Transactions  Ctrl-F
---
Edit Report Options                     # This exists as a toolbar button. Merge into
this dialog Style Sheets
Account Tax Options                     # Was Tax Information
[...]

Date Range         >            # To submenus
Style              >            # To submenus

Transactions Menu:
This should be mostly greyed out in this view as it is primarily used to manipulate
transactions
in the register view.

Transactions
---