Hello,

I just subscribed to this list, after finding the solution to my crashing
gnucash in this thread. I think my additional information may be of value,
so excuse my barging in without proper introduction etc.

Okay. I shut down gnucash. Rebooted my Ubuntu 16.04 for a kernel upgrade and
started gnucash again. A side note: It may be important to know that gnucash
got upgraded automatically since the previous start. It is now at
1:2.6.16-1~getdeb1.

So, gnucash dumped core and googling on the error lead me to this thread.
And of course the cause was quickly found:

mysql> select * from transactions where guid='84<masked>f8'\G
         guid: 84<masked>f8
currency_guid: 83<masked>a4
          num:
    post_date: 0000-00-00 00:00:00
   enter_date: 2005-09-09 14:21:36
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

I fixed this by issuing this SQL command instead of deleting the
transaction:
mysql> update transactions set post_date = '2005-09-09 00:00:00' where
guid='84<masked>f8';

.. and gnucash started up very well after this.

The difference / extra info here is:

* gnucash did not crash. I shut down the previous version gracefully.
* This particulair transaction has been there for almost 12 years now.
* It is the very first transaction in this particular account.
* A quick look in a backup from 6 month's ago also shows: post_date:
0000-00-00 00:00:00
* This never caused trouble while starting up before.

So.. maybe it is a regression issue that may bite others too?