I may crack a nut with a sledgehammer but me and my girlfriend have
different accounts for different purposes and currencies. Since our main
bank doesn't allow us to use a sub account mutuality by issuing a second
ATM card we use multiple cards/accounts depending on country and purposes.

I would love to simplify this but is currently not a realistic option. That
why I started to put all payments (recorded money transfers / debits) in an
excel spreadsheet what tells us who owns whom how much in regard of e.g.
cost of flat, daily expenses etc. It is somehow similar to the spreadsheet
available for download on Money Under 30
<https://www.moneyunder30.com/joint-shared-expense-tracking-spreadsheet> but
bit more complex (with e.g. uneven shared expenses)

Now I reached a point where too much data got accumulated, so I would like
to know if this app suits our needs?

----------------
 I did some researched on the web and found a plenty of free (open source)
accounting software and shared expensed smartphone apps. The apps are too
simple and mainly don’t allow importing data. So I need something in
between. So far I found the following apps:

   1. BillPin — Splitting bills made easy <http://www.billpin.com/>
   2. Debtster
   <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mugulabs.debtster.free>
   3. expensure <https://expensure.com/>
   4. IOU - Intelligent Money Management <http://www.iou.ch/>
   5. IOU - your personal debt manager <http://www.iou.net/>
   6. My finances <http://7csolutions.com/>
   7. Settle Up <http://www.settleup.info/>
   8. Splitwise <https://secure.splitwise.com/>
   9. Tricount <https://www.tricount.com/en/>
   10. WeSplit.it - Share Bills and Expenses <https://wesplit.it/>

Since they don’t satisfy my need I read through some comparison website.
These sites explain already a lot but nothing about shared expenses
integrated in accounting application. They are:

   1. Capterra Finance Software Blog - Top Free Accounting Software Options
   <http://blog.capterra.com/top-free-accounting-software/>
   2. opensource.com - 3 open source personal finance tools for Linux
   <https://opensource.com/life/16/1/3-open-source-personal-finance-tools-linux>
   3. techradar - The best free accounting software 2017

<http://www.techradar.com/news/software/applications/best-free-accounting-software-8-programs-we-recommend-1136684>
   4. makeusof - 15 Cool Tools for Easy Expense Tracking and Budgeting

<http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/15-cool-tools-for-easy-expense-tracking-and-budgeting/>

So I ended up with software packages listed below. May someone else faced
once the same challenge and uses one of them. That would save me a lot of
time of evaluation.

   1. acasa - Splittable <https://www.helloacasa.com/>
   2. AdminSoft Accounts <https://www.afaspersonal.nl/plus>
   3. AFAS Personal Plus <https://www.afaspersonal.nl/plus>
   4. Apache OpenOffice

<http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/software/business-and-finance-software/apache-openoffice-4-0-1171091/review>
   5. Banana Accounting <https://www.banana.ch/en>
   6. Buddi - Personal budget software for the rest of us
   <http://buddi.digitalcave.ca/>
   7. Buxfer: Easy Online Money Management <https://www.buxfer.com/>
   8. economizzer <http://www.economizzer.org/>
   9. Expensify - Expense reports that don't suck!
   <https://www.expensify.com/inbox>
   10. GnuCash <http://www.gnucash.org/>
   11. HomeBank <http://homebank.free.fr/index.php>
   12. Invoice Expert <http://www.invoiceexpert.com/>
   13. Kittysplit: Easy splitting of group expenses
   <https://www.kittysplit.com/>
   14. KMyMoney <https://kmymoney.org/>
   15. LedgerSMB <https://ledgersmb.org/>
   16. moneytrackin <https://www.moneytrackin.com/>’