I have been using GnuCash for the past few months after importing from
Quicken. Great application and very pleased with it as a double-entry
system.  However, just over the past month or so I've noticed a very
unexpected result. The file has in excess of 15,000 entries and includes
2005 to present.  I'm still running Quicken in parallel and all both systems
are in complete agreement with balances.  Fortunately I'm retired and can
make the time available.

When performing a search to see how much I've spent with a particular vendor
(i.e. gas station, grocer) the search results register opens showing all
entries with the specific vendor and of course zero balance(s) in the search
register. Now if I select "reports > account report" I would expect the
report to show zero balances with totals for credits and debits.  This is
not the case as I see a non-zero balance column in the report although the
search results register shows zero balance.

To further muddy the waters I have discovered this unexpected balance
uniformly increasing up until around entries from mid-august and then the
balance in the "search results account report" to steadily decrease? For
gasoline or groceries i would expect the balance to uniformly increase with
each entry. The report shows debits and credits in the correct columns and
none with negative values.
So my question(s) are 1. why would there be a account report balance other
than zero when the search results registers shows zero and 2. why would the
balance seemingly reverse arithmetically for only the past six weeks or so?

All accounts are in balance (no imbalances shown for any account type) and
account register reports all provide expected results.  It is only search
results register acting strange.  By the way, this only occurs for entries
dated after mid-august.

Also, the OS is LinuxMint 18.2 with GnuCash ver 2.6.12.  Any help would be
most appreciated.

Tom