On 12/24/2017 8:08 PM, Lincoln A Baxter wrote:
> On Mon, 2017-12-25 at 00:46 +0000, cliffhan...@gardener.com wrote:
>>     Thanks. Yes one can import one at a time but this cheque ac from
>>     Quicken is huge and has references to other card accounts as
>> categories
>>     within it. These accounts don't exist anymore and gnucash is
>> trying to
>>     create them as part of the import. This is something I'd like to
>> avoid.
>>     Hope this makes sense. Cliff

Cliff:

Don't worry about it, you are making a mountain out of a mole hill.  I
transferred all of my Quicken data, more than 20 years to Gnucash in one
shot.  I can not recall the link that told how to do it at the moment.
Export all your quicken data and let GnuCash import ALL of the data.
GnuCash will work it's "magic".

To make a long story short, do not worry about the closed accounts.  Let
GnuCash create them.  Make a top level account for each type of account,
IE. Closed credit cards.  Once done and you get a chance to correct all
the erroneous entries (read that as using a hidden "corrected balance
account") that Quicken allowed then just edit the accounts and change
them to children of master accounts, "Closed credit cards", "Unused
checking", etc.  Hide the master account of "unused" whatever.  In my
case I needed to remember transactions from closed accounts for warranty
and shall we say domestic problems for the entire 20+ years.  None of
which I wanted to see but; necessary for my financial "sayftey".

Then just create or use any accounts that you need.

Happy accounting days ahead...Enjoy and rejoice!

While GnuChash does no have all the "Fancy n Nancy, flashy ability" of
commercial programs it is a real accounting system.   I greatly wish I
had the ability to donate one USD to each and every developer.

--JEffrey Black M.B.A.