I’m trying to escape Quicken and return to double entry accounting  with gnu
cash.

But creating/customizing reports has me stumped!

Let's say I have 20 customers each paying monthly for a service.

I'd like to track the payments over a 12 month period for all 20 customers.

What kind of report can I create with gnu cash, so each customer will be a row
and in each column, that customer's payment will be seen in the month it was
paid?

An application might be collecting rents from 20 tenants.

---