Thanks all.

I don't understand the difference between "cleared" and "reconciled"
in Gnucash context.  Someone mentioned that one changes R from "n" to
"c" when they see the charge in their bank statement or online
banking.  How is that different in terms of information flow from
using the reconciliation feature to do exactly the same thing?  I
still end up having to cherry-pick individual transactions to make the
balance work out.

Regarding the Num field, I understand that this would be a check
number if anyone paid for much with checks anymore.  For checking visa
or ACH transactions, am I supposed to record the transaction number
from the bank online balance sheet or statement?

Thanks.

Mark