On 2/5/2018 7:51 PM, Adrien Monteleone wrote:
> As well, you should be able to set your cloud service to tell it what
> files/folders you want to sync to the cloud. There should be no need to
> physically relocate them each time to do so. The file stays on computer 1
> where you put it and syncs in the background to the cloud. When you get to
> computer 2, you can sync the file manually to a location on computer 2 if it
> isn’t there already.
>
> Regards,
> Adrien
>
>> On Feb 5, 2018, at 7:47 PM, D <sunfis...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> Jonathan,
>>
>> More to the point of files on your desktop: from what you have provided, I
>> suspect the following.
>>
>> 1. You tell Gnucash to save your data on the desktop.
>> 2. You do your work, save and exit Gnucash.
>> 3. You take the saved file and move it to your cloud folder, and then delete
>> all the other stuff that's appeared in the desktop.
>> 4. You restart Gnucash and get the file not found error.
>>
>> As Adrien noted, Gnucash opens the last saved file, so if you move it,
>> Gnucash will complain.
>>
>> If you don't want your desktop littered with Gnucash log files and back ups
>> (most of us don't!), put them into a folder. Then they will all live in that
>> folder. You also mention wanting to use the cloud, so save the file there,
>> keeping in mind Adrien's advice about multiple machines and access. It is
>> also important to note that most cloud folders have some lag in updating, so
>> you want to be sure you aren't disconnecting before that update occurs.
>>
>> Cheers, and welcome,
>> David
>>

>> On February 6, 2018, at 5:28 AM, Adrien Monteleone
>> <adrien.montele...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> First, by ‘unable to install’ do you mean you can’t install the program at
>> all and can’t start it?
>>
>> You indicate next that you create accounts and save your file, so I’d say
>> you HAVE managed to successfully install it. (‘Install’ means to make the
>> application able to run on your computer, if you can run it, you’ve
>> installed it)
>>
>> Now, let’s tackle the file issue.
>>
>> If the first time you saved your ‘book’ file after creating it, the location
>> you chose was your desktop, then yes, additional files will get created as
>> you use the software in that same location. These are mostly log files. The
>> GnuCash program icon should just be labeled ‘GnuCash’. Your book file should
>> be labeled with whatever name you gave it with a .gnucash extension. The log
>> files will end in .gnucash.log and start with the same name as your book
>> file. There may be other files from time to time, most likely a .lck file
>> which is a lock file used to prevent you from opening the same book file
>> twice at once. It is probably advisable instead to choose either a folder on
>> your desktop if that’s how you work, or a folder inside your Documents
>> folder to store your GnuCash ‘book’ file.

> [...]

Jonathan:

I see that a couple of the GnuCash guru's have already responded to your
dilemma.

Just my 2 cents worth.  Since you seem to have mastered quickbooks, the
only learning curve you have is learning a new "personality".

My suggestion, that I think you can appreciate as a psychologist, is
that you are dealing with multiple personalities. Quickbooks on Windoze,
quicken on a Macintosh, then adding GnuCash. You need to merge them all
into one personality on your cloud account.

After installing GnuCash on one computer, convert the quicken (or books)
into a GnuCash personality on your cloud account not your computer.
Then install Gnucash on the other computer.  Open the cloud data file
and add the personality of the other quicken data to your Gnucash data.
Once you do that then choose one computer to learn about your new
"person". Once you understand that one, then and only then, begin to
learn about how the other computer handles the same personality.  (just
so you know, being the paranoid type I do not trust internet cloud
accounts for sensitive information) From there on you can use either
computer to access the data but; by one and only one computer at any
given time.

Gert, Adrien, and several other of the guru's can direct you to the
various documents showing you how to do each step in their sleep.

--JEffrey Black M.B.A.