Ed,

GnuCash keeps share prices internally in that hard-to-read fractional
format because it is the most accurate way to store the data.  However, I
think this is a change in behavior so if you could file a bug report about
what is happening in release 3.0 the developers will be able to take a look
at it after they get the showstopper bugs fixed.

Thanks for reporting it.

David C