> On Jun 20, 2018, at 10:13 PM, RedFishGnuFish <dontspammeher...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Admittedly, I'm brand new to GnuCash but I think this is a real issue.
>
> I'm using GnuCash 3.1 on Win 7.  My windows Desktop directory is redirected
> to a 2008 Server on my home network.
>
> I create a new project and try to save it.
> 1) I first create a folder (Accounting) on my Desktop which succeeds.
>
> 2) I enter that folder <mydesktop>Accounting
>
> 3) I try to save fool.gnucash
>
>    Note, the network path looks something like:
>    \\servername\Share\Users\<myusername>\Accounting\foo.gnucash
>
> I get the error:
>
> You attempted to save in
> <random text here>
> or a subdirectory theerof.  This is not allowed as GnuCash reservers that
> directory for internal use.
>
> Please try again in a different directory.
>
> I'ts ironic that the only reason I'm upgrading from Quicken 2003 is it
> doesn't seem to handle network path names.

Are all of the characters in <mydesktop> regular English characters (i.e. a-z,
A-Z, and 0-9)?
Are you absolutely sure that the <random text here> is in fact random? How many
trials did you run? Are all of *those* characters in the regular English
character set?
Is the server path mapped to a drive with net use? Have you tried that?

Regards,
John Ralls