On Thursday, 28 June 2018 07:53:02 BST Tony Vanson wrote:
> Hi all,
> Hopefully someone can advise me how to treat the following problem which
> stumps me.
> I am using GNUcash 2.6.18 on Windows 10.
> I shall be away for several months and have transferred credit from my
> Savings account to my Staff account with a lump sum amount for her to pay
> her Salary, Electricity, Pool chemicals, Internet access etc, on the due
> date. All these are set up as expense accounts.
> All accounts, apart from her Salary and Internet access, are variable in
> amount and payment date.
> I assume that I have to split the lump sum to the various accounts as they
> are paid or is there some other method?
> I also need to take into account that the payment I've made to the Staff
> account may be too small or too large.
> Any enlightenment to a personally perplexing problem would be greatly
> appreciated.
> P.S. I only use GNUcash for my personal information and does not have any
> taxation or other legal requirement.
> Cheers

Hi Tony.

Do you have accounts in GC that represent your Savings account & Staff
accounts?

To me it seems that you should let GC reflect reality - you've got a
transaction from Assets:Savings to Assets:StaffAccount.  as the payments are
made, you have transactions between Assets:StaffAccount & expense accounts as
appropriate. (presumably, you could be emailed details of payments made to
keep your GC up to date?)

If, on your return, you have balance left in Assets:StaffAccount, just record
a transaction putting it back into savings.

HTH,
Maf.