The help manual Chapter 8 section 8.1 fails to point out that the find
assistant [Split Search] Type of Search defaults to New search when started
from the main accounts hierarchy page, but it defaults to Refine current
search when started from a normal Account Register window or from the
General Ledger window.  Further, the results are presented in a new window
when started from the main accounts hierarchy page or from a normal Account
Register window, but  the results are presented in the *same window when
started from the General Ledger window*.  This is probably designed to
respect the View >Filter By option in the Account register view and in the
General Ledger view.

The Delete results from current search type is apparently intended to
delete transactions that match the newly chosen criteria from the current
search result rather than to undo the last search refinement or
modification.

Finally, John Ralls' answer to my original question was interesting.  In
the General Ledger window, at least, it is possible to return to the
un-searched view by changing Search Criteria " ... contains to matches
regex and enter .* for the regex. And check "add results to current search"
in the search type radio box."

I hope that we can get all of that into the help manual.

David C