Dear List,
for the next running into these issues.

My Problem:
I am running debian stable/strech 9. The stable version delivers a
pretty old gnucash. I have used gnucash on fedora before, was there on
3.2 already and could not use the more recent database in the old
version.
So I removed the old gnucash and installed gnucash 3.2 via flatpak in
this way:
(1) I installed flatpak via apt.
(2) Opened the application "Software" and installed gnucash.

The cause:
Gnucash started in English, no matter what I have tried.
This process has not installed the locales for gnucash.

You can recognize this situation by starting it from command line via

$ flatpak run org.gnucash.GnuCash

It will give you "The locale defined in the environment isn't
supported. Falling back to the 'C' (US English) locale".

I found a hint [1] and issued:
$ flatpak remote-ls flathub | grep gnucash
org.gnucash.GnuCash
org.gnucash.GnuCash.Debug
org.gnucash.GnuCash.Locale
org.gnucash.GnuCash.Sources

This shows, that gnucash seems to have a subpackage .Locale that smells
  like my missing translations.

As I had modified my local flatpak installation, I removed gnucash with
$ sudo flatpak --system uninstall org.gnucash.GnuCash

and installed them again with:

$ sudo flatpak --system install flathub org.gnucash.GnuCash
org.gnucash.GnuCash.Locale

And it worked:
flatpak run org.gnucash.GnuCash

=> German

Thanks for your patience with me! If I can help others, I am glad!

Wolfram

The hint that helped me understanding flatpak
[1] https://github.com/flathub/org.blender.Blender/issues/5#issuecommen
t-390494396