On 11/26/18 8:27 PM, David Cousens wrote:
Steve,

I'd reinforce John and Adrien's comments about diving right in.  I
originally learned C somewhere in the late 1980's from Kernigan and
Ritchie's book and used the language for a couple of years. After that I
moved on to Matlab and Mathematica for most of my calculation needs
(employed by the government who paid insitutional licence fees) as they
became available. Have never formally learned C++ (and it shows) but I did
use a couple of other Object Oriented languages in between, so C++ generally
becomes intelligible fairly quickly. There are a lot of online reources for
C++ and quite a few programming forums where you can seek advice as well.

The greatest difficulty I have experienced is in tracking program flow and
locating definitions with complex include heirarchies, which was why I
mentioned Sourcetrail previously. I won't say I am ever going to be an
expert C++ coder, but I can now get by to the extent necessary to string a
few library calls together. When I come across C++ features I don't
understand, I just read around the topic. Spending some time learning C++
properly is on the priority list for me and probably a good idea before
writing new code. When I get desperate, I just call my son who is a
professional developer of business software and games platforms.

David
Thanks David.  That reminds me that a neighbor from a decade ago now works for Intel down in Phoenix.  He'll be a great resource to call -- and in the non-winter we are even on the same time!

--
Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
stephen.m.butle...@gmail.com