Hello,

As the subject line notes, I am again encountering a crasher in GnuCash 3.3 on
MacOS Mojave when I try to save a report configuration for a report whose
settings have changed. Upon restart, I find that the saved reports have been
trashed, and the saved-reports-2.8 file is truncated at a fraction of its prior
size.

Further specifics: I am opening a saved report which is intended to document a
small subset of expense accounts. I have added a new subaccount to this set of
expenses, and I wish to add this new subaccount to the existing saved report. I
open the report (Reports->Saved Report Configurations) and then select the
options for the report. I click to the Accounts tab, add the new account
(CMD-Click) and click save. The new version of the report now displays. I click
on the “Save Report Configuration” button, and GnuCash disappears. There is no
further information displayed (i.e., I do not receive an Apple message about
the program ending unexpectedly, etc.). Neither does it appear that there is a
crash report; the only crash I can find regarding GnuCash dates from 12/18, and
today is not 12/18.

More disturbingly, when I reopen GnuCash, I find that my Saved Report
Configurations file has been truncated, resulting in a loss of most of my
reports. (Because I’ve had similar troubles with GnuCash trashing my reports
file, I have copies of saved-reports-2.8 stored in safe spots.) The
saved-reports-2.8 file goes from 182 kb to 34 kb. Upon restart, I have only 7
saved reports.

I reported this problem originally back in May 2018, and thought it had gone
away, but am again seeing it. I can consistently cause the crash now whenever I
try to save a report configuration using the original reports file. If I use
the new truncated form of the reports file, the error (and associated crash)
goes away.

Back in May, I asked whether anyone could suggest a way for me to examine the
saved-reports-2.8 file and determine what could possible be causing this crash.
It is untenable for me to keep having to restore my saved reports file, and is
annoying that I am unable to alter existing reports or add new ones.

If there are no solid suggestions to be made, I hope someone does have some way
for me to move forward; otherwise I will have to bite the bullet, write down
every single report I have saved, and recreate them in a new saved-reports
file. This is a colossal waste of time, but if it’s the only way I can move
forward, then it’s the only way to move forward.

With ‘bated breath,
David