Just to mix things up here I will throw out a third strategy.  Start with
the opening balance method for all your stocks, then when you have more
free time, pick one or two of the more valuable ones and re-enter them
starting from the beginning.  If there were a lot of transactions involving
new money this would mean also adding all those cash-in and cash-out
transactions later.

Good Luck

David Carlson