On 1/17/2019 6:31 PM, Adrien Monteleone wrote:

I have sometimes wanted to migrate my data and my desired configs without
carrying over configs from no longer used apps, thus trimming cruft for a
*fresh* start.

Yes indeed, that is a time when I also might want to do such "clean up". BUT (and this might be my background as a professional) I would find doing things like that SAFER not trying to combine operations.

In other words, I would NOT want to combine "get data over" and "clean up" << and during "clean up", if done in stages, I would be wanting to make a backup between each stage and test all apps where data had been cleaned before moving on.

It is experience having drilled home "mistakes will be made" and so I want it isolated, if mistake made must have been between two known "fixed points".

Michael D Novack

PS: Where user data is put (high level directory for each user) is not different between linux distros.