Op maandag 28 januari 2019 17:40:13 CET schreef Christopher Lam:
> Hi David
>
> I run 2.6.21 and 3.4 side by side on my machine on the same data file
>
> > without trouble. The visual experiences can’t be optimized for both since
> > they use different UI engines but the same configuration files it seems.
> >
> > There are also numerous incompatibilities with the standard reports
> > between the versions, which make it moderately annoying to run them across
> > versions. Specifically, the Transaction report total settings are
> > completely different and incompatible, making a saved report based on this
> > unusable in one or the other versions. While it would be preferable for
> > these reports to preserve backwards compatibility, I am willing to accept
> > the loss for the joy of having someone finally working on reports...

I think you can tell GnuCash 3.x to look elsewhere for saved report
configurations (and all other application specific data) by setting
environment variables GNC_DATA_DIR and GNC_CONFIG_DIR. Both will be completely
ignored by GnuCash 2.6.x. The only thing I don't know for sure is whether
these get set by the gnucash bundles on MacOS. In that case it would be hard
to override.

Of course if you set these environment variables, make sure to copy the
relevant files from the original location as well (saved-reports, books
directory,... basically anything in ~/Library/Application Support/GnuCash you
wish to take as a basis for the separate configuration).

The only part that can't be separated yet as far as I know is the options
stored via gsettings (which proxies to the defaults system on MacOS). Those
are per user, not per application version at this point.

Regards,

Geert