On 14.02.19 02:33, John Ralls wrote:
Securities don't have currencies.
Had I only known, I could have fixed my problem much more easily! ;-)
Accounts denominated in securities (or more generally in non-currency commodities) have
an association with the nearest parent account denominated in a currency, so perhaps the
solution to your problem is to create a "US Investments" Asset placeholder
account somewhere and move the account that's giving you trouble under it.

This is good advice, which I should have followed all along.  To simplify the account structure I have been attempting to use the second alternative mentioned in https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Stocks/add_stock#Stocks_noted_in_foreign_currency, instead of the first, which you recommend above.  However, I often forget to start my security transactions in a bank account.  It seems much more natural to start them in a securities account, where the fields for quantity and price are visible.  I have therefore reorganized my accounts per your suggestion and expect that I will have no further problems with this

Thanks for the tip!