On Wednesday, 13 March 2019 12:53:13 GMT Joseph Vernice wrote:
> There are no logon credentials for an XML database, making it easy for
> someone to access your data.  I use a mysql database that requires
> credentials to log on.  Also, I change the port from the default 3306 to
> something else.  The port is blocked by my firewall.  I can do this only
> because the DB server is on my LAN.

Hi Joseph,

Does MySQL default to encrypt the data it stores on disk?

I know the XML isn't encrypted by default, but it isn't especially hard to do
with the correct tools at one's disposal, (along with other sensitive files
that might be lurking under ~/ )

I'm not sure that there's much *real* security gain (vs perceived gain) from
the requirement of an extra password to open the database in MySQL?

Maf.