Hi,

Philip Burg <philip_b...@hotmail.com> writes:

> I would like to close my books at the end of my financial year but
> have access to the previous years files, my thoughts were to archive
> the file at the end of the year by backing up to a cd/dvd then start
> afresh with the new financial year. would this be possible. I am using
> windows 10 and Gnucash Version 3.4 Build I.D. 3.4+(2018-12-30)

Archiving old books is always a good idea.

Restarting at the begining of the year, however, is not necessarily is
good idea.  Specifically, there is a Close Books feature that zero's out
your Income & Expense accounts into Equity, but it doesn't actually
DELETE any data.

Your other option is to Export the account tree which will create an
empty file and then re-open it.  The downside is that you will have to
reset all your opening balances, and if you use any business features
you will need to manually re-enter all that metadata too (customers,
vendors, tax tables, etc).  I highly ANTI-recommend this approach.

Personally, I don't do anything.  All the reports handle year-end
accounting without doing anything special.  I don't mind seeing my
income and expense account balances showing lifetime achievements :)
But that's just me.

Hope this helps,

> Regards
>
> Philip Burg

-derek

--
       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745
       de...@ihtfp.com             www.ihtfp.com