It seems circular to say that there is a distinction between a simple and
compound transaction, and then say a simple transaction is a special case
compound transaction. Then we're back at defining the difference between, say,
a "split" transaction versus a "multi-split" transaction, which we're trying to
move away from as justifiably confusing.

Calling one a "simple" transaction, and the others "compound" seems like
enough. Perhaps the explanation of the technical aspects of this (i.e., the
structure of a two sided simple, as opposed to an n-sided {n>2} compound
transaction), could use the term "split," as it is defined by  Gnucash. This
would disambiguate the use of the term "split," such that it would only be used
for this specific case.

Regardless, I am still against the "Ledger entry" locution.

Perhaps we need a translation from American English to British English...

David

On March 21, 2019, at 7:47 PM, Derek Atkins <de...@ihtfp.com> wrote:

"David T. via gnucash-user" <gnucash-user@gnucash.org> writes:

> I like the terminology “simple” versus “compound”, but I do not
> understand what is meant by a “ two-line simple transaction as a
> special case of a compound transaction.”

This is what happens you expand a simple transaction (which has only 2
splits) by clicking on the "Show Splits" button, or change the View to
Split-ledger or Transaction Journal mode.  It will display as a compound
transaction but have only two lines (plus the blank spilt line).

> David

-derek

--
       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745
       de...@ihtfp.com             www.ihtfp.com