Hi Derek,
Thank you for your explanation. I've given this further thought overnight and,
although I understand your thinking, your analogy has helped me see where
confusion might have arisen.

When you say "split the wood in two" you are using split(v), not
split(n).Calling each piece of the result a split(n) is perfectly
reasonable,which is what GnuCash does.

If I have a pile of logs that I want to use as firewood, it might be necessary
to split(v) them first. I then have a pile of split logs where "split" is being
used as an adjective. "Split logs" in the complete term whereas you have chosen
to abbreviate it to split(n), which makes no sense if used on its own, as in "I
have a pile of splits".

It appears that that is what has happened to the use of split in GnuCash and
"split transaction" has been abbreviated to "split", which long-term users have
got used to it. Geert's suggested use of the word "entry" for the individual
parts of a transaction would surely make sense to all users and still allow for
the use of "split entry transaction" when referring to the whole transaction.
Kind regards,
Alan