You need to reverse the preference on your #2 back to using the GnuCash color
theme.

If the preference is checked, GnuCash will load its own predefined colors, or
colors from a custom css file.

If the preference is cleared, GnuCash will use colors from the default Gtk
theme. (Adwaita in this case unless you’ve installed and activated a different
one)

So GnuCash is not loading your css file with the preference unchecked.

This function of the preference is described in a tool tip if you hover over it.