Bruno,

It turns out that Apple decided to put the perl headers exclusively in the
Xcode SDK but their perl patch doesn't quite work. Gory details may be read at
https://rt.cpan.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=127028.

The work-around in the last post to that bug, installing command-line tools and
then installing
/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/Packages/macOS_SDK_headers_for_macOS_10.14.pkg
 got me a clean ExtUtils::MakeMaker install without the whining about
EXTERNAL.h. With that in place Date::Manip will also install correctly.

I just found /System/Library/Perl/Extras/5.18/. It has DateTime and LWP,
explaining why F::Q doesn't complain about not finding them when they're not in
/Library/Perl. In fact in the course of installing Command Line Tools I also
got a system upgrade (from 10.14.4beta to 10.14.4) and that removed DateTime
and LWP from /Library/Perl/5.18 on my system. It didn't break Finance::Quote,
so I guess LWP is ruled out as the source of your problem.

When you say that Finance::Quote seems to work without problem does that mean
that stockdump.pl works but gnc-fq-dump still reports a 500 error?

Regards,
John Ralls

> [...]
> desktop which worked before but fails now as well and has not been changed to
> the best log my knowledge: (It contains date Date, Finance, but apparently
> lacks DateTime, LWP, LWP.pm)
>
> 5.18
>       CPAN
>       Darwin-thread-multi-2level
>       Date
>       ExtUtils
>       Finance
>       HTML
>       JSON
>       Mozilla
>       Parse
>       Test
>       AppendToPath
>       JSON.pm
> Updates
>       5.18.2
>               Darwin-thread-multi-2level
>
> Best, Bruno
>
>> On Mar 24, 2019, at 3:08 PM, John Ralls <jra...@ceridwen.fremont.ca.us>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Bruno,
>>
>> No, there's no reason to install a fake-linux package manager.
>>
>> You said "Library/Perl", does that mean /Users/backlin/Library/Perl or
>> /Library/Perl? It should be the latter. If it's the former, what's in
>> /Library/Perl?
>>
>> Assuming that it *is* /Library/Perl, there are several packages that should
>> be there and aren't. I suggest
>> sudo rm -rf /Library/Perl/5.18/Finance
>> sudo rm -rf ~/.cpan/build/Finance-Quote*
>> sudo rm -rf -/.cpan/build/Date-Manip*
>> sudo cpan -i Date::Manip
>> sudo cpan -i Finance::Quote
>>
>> Check the output of those last two to make sure that they complete
>> successfully. Reinstalling Finance::Quote should pull in the other packages.
>> After it's done /Library/Perl/5.18 should contain Date, DateTime, Finance,
>> LWP, and LWP.pm in addition to the modules already there.
>>
>> Regards,
>> John Ralls
>>

>>> On Mar 24, 2019, at 2:36 PM, Bruno Acklin <back...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi John,
>>>
>>> Sorry for the omission and delay.
>>>
>>> No, I have none of these “fake-Linux package managers”(?) installed -
>>> should I?
>>>
>>> The reply to backlin$ which perl is
>>> /usr/bin/perl
>>>
>>> In usr/bin I find two entries:
>>> perl and
>>> perl5.18
>>>
>>> The directory Library/Perl contains
>>> /5.18
>>>     /Darwin-thread-multi-2level
>>>     /Finance
>>>     /HTML
>>>     /JSON
>>>     /Mozilla
>>>     /AppendToPath
>>>     /JSON.pm
>>> /Updates
>>>     /5.18.2
>>>             /Darwin-thread-multi-2level
>>>
>>> Looking up contents of
>>> ~/.cpan/build/ :
>>> Date-Manip-6.75-JzZ9Wt              ExtUtils-MakeMaker-7.34-_6iXcq
>>> Date-Manip-6.76-9mWyaN              Finance-Quote-1.47-_BUlzK
>>> Date-Manip-6.76-NE8c76              Finance-Quote-1.47-nChsgf
>>> Date-Manip-6.76-QNnn65              HTML-TableExtract-2.15-dP4w2A
>>> ExtUtils-MakeMaker-7.34-695wh2      JSON-4.02-RrPsdw
>>> ExtUtils-MakeMaker-7.34-DVwu8U      Mozilla-CA-20180117-TgJL7x