I managed to replicate the error on Win7 and I've debugged into it a bit. The
gibberish in the pathname is because a wide-character string returned from
Windows is getting interpreted as a normal-character string. But that's not the
only problem, the path to the user-config-dir is getting overwritten with the
candidate storage path, and that's what's causing the error.

For some reason this doesn't happen on Win10, so a parallel debugging session
there is next.

Regards,
John Ralls