On 4/11/19 2:59 PM, Michael or Penny Novack wrote:
On 4/11/2019 3:45 PM, ToddAndMargo via gnucash-user wrote:
On 4/11/19 5:57 AM, Michael or Penny Novack wrote:
Using the d**** thing does require you to understand SOMETHING about double entry bookkeeping because that is what you are doing..

That you for all the help!

Unfortunately, GnuCash is way, way overkill for what I need.
I am not after using it for bookkeeping.

If you are still here --- maybe you should describe in words what you ARE trying to do? In other words, what financial information do you want to keep track of? What sorts of reports about your finances do you want to be able to produce? The term "bookkeeping" refers to keeping financial records << before "double entry" there was "single entry" and in the early days of "double entry" transactions were immediately recorded against "equity" --- BTW, "early"means hundreds of years ago.

Michael D Novack

Hi Michael,

I wrote my own database for my business.  All payments
must match all charges.  The reports even tell you
what line on what tax form to enter the totals.
It includes invoices and cost of goods sold.  So
the "bookkeeping" is already taken care of.

What I am after is a simple way to keep track of charges
and payments on my credit cards and my check books.
The goal is an easier way to balance against my bank's
statements without the need for white out when I add 2+2
and get 3.

I DO NOT CARE about categories and the like.  That is
already taken care of in my database, right down to
the line on the tax form.

-T