By chance did you manage to install them side-by-side?

How did you install 3.5? (or 3.4 for that matter, as neither is in the 18.04
repos)

Did you try to intentionally launch 3.5 first, then use File > Open?

I can’t see how in such a case, 3.4 would suddenly launch. (but double-clicking
the file in Nautilus *might* cause that)

If the file association is wrong and you still have both versions installed
then just re-assign .gnucash file types to 3.5 to fix it. And/or remove 3.4.
(note, you might need to re-install 3.5 after removing 3.4 depending on the
install method as some important dependencies *might* get removed with it.)