On Fri, Apr 26, 2019 at 9:13 PM Cricket Onebit <cricketbeauti...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Somewhere I saw that most people find QIF works better, and that QIF is
> similar to CSV. If my version of Quicken won't export to QIF, I'll try CSV.
> There are too many variations of CSV for me to trust it entirely.

The QIF import USED to be the only way to accurately get "both sides" of
every transaction. The ability to get every part of a transaction in a CSV
is a new feature with the 3.x series. I haven't tried it.

You WILL almost certainly see some strangeness in the imported data because
Quicken doesn't strictly enforce balanced transactions as GnuCash does.
When you're just dealing with a few years, you may find it easy to go back
and fix the odd strange transactions in Quicken, and start the import over
from scratch.

> I might make one huge QIF, import it and save as GC, then make another QIF
> just of recent transactions for actual use.

That's my recommendation.

> That's a lot of work, though. I
> asked a few days about chunking it by date. They suggested doing each
> account separately. If I understand correctly, transfers between accounts
> might show up as two transactions otherwise. I guess Quicken exports the
> transaction twice, once in each direction. GC's matcher only checks against
> transactions it's already saved.

I might be wrong, but I believe the advantage of the QIF import is that
Quicken and GnuCash are pretty good about conveying the matching parts of
the transaction. I don't remember it being a problem at all, once you got
over the process of creating all the accounts (on the GnuCash side).

It seems like I started with the default GnuCash accounts, and worked from
a printout of my Quicken accounts and categories, and created them in
GnuCash beforehand. That made the transfer happen much faster because I
wasn't creating new accounts as I went along.

You might also try exporting just however many years of data from a single
bank account at a time until you have them all. Unless I'm mis-remembering,
I think the only places you'll have duplicate transactions will be those
places where you transferred money BETWEEN the bank accounts.

Good luck!